With the first major of the year over and a new major champion in american patrick reed winning a green jacket with 4 days of superb controlled rounds of golf .
we all expected a final day of fireworks and as rory mcilroy didnt provide a final day charge one man certainly did and his name was Jordan speith !
It was unbelivable to watch as jordan chased down the leader with a fierce determination worthy of the masters .
Having all that going on we can almost forget the rest of the field who can be said didnt really have a great masters .
The defending champion certainly had one to forget and the 13 on one hole will be one to forget !
We didnt really see much of world number 1 dustin johnson , jason day or justin rose .
A big crowd followed tiger woods as would be expected and it was great to see him back of the fairways of augusta national and even tho he didnt contend, he didnt make the cut and his progress didnt hault his comeback to professional golf .
Two people who had a good masters would be bubba watson and rickie fowler with the latter showing good form at majors and maybe this year a open title is waiting for rickie ?
Next major up is the us open at shinnecock hills , and the focus will be on phil mickleson and will he finally win the one tournament that has evaded him and become the 6th grand slam winner ?
winter golf tips
so as the cold months roll in and winter takes hold how many of you actually play golf in the winter ?
Surprisingly not many do and normally the weather in the uk this time of year isn't great we do have the odd day where it's a crisp sunny cold day and a excellent chance to sample winter golf and the challenges it presents .
So a few tips to help your game in winter
1. Allow for less roll on wet or soft winter fairways compared to hard summer ones .
2. Be mindful that the golf ball doesn't fly as far in cold winter than in warm sunny days , a recent study showed that the difference being around 2 yards of carry for every 10 degrees drop ( cold air is denser than warm for science geeks ) .
3. Consider changing to a softer ' lower compression ball in winter as it's easier to compress a softer ball .
4. A random one this but to keep golf balls warm ( and last check it was legal ) put them in a pot a hot water for 30 minutes then dry them and put them into a insulated food bag ( I personally haven't tried it myself but may for research purposes ) .
5. A common tip from the tour is keep gloves dry is to put them in a sealed bag and also hang the glove on the rods under the umbrella to stay dry .
6. Simple one to keep a towel dry hang it off the umbrella but keep a spare in the bag too .
7. Rough in winter especially when wet is tough so swing a little harder to get out .
8. As beautiful as a crisp winter day can be to avoid disappointment do except that scoring won't be as good .
9. Greens will be slower when wet and soft .
So these top tips will help you enjoy winter golf more and the different challenge it poses to summer golf , course management and mental toughness will be tested as will ball striking .
Don't let all of this put you off tho from getting out on the course , even just 9 holes can be very beneficial to your winter practise programme .
Enjoy and happy golfing !
A professional golfer sharing blogs on playing the game , how to practise and views from the golf world ,