This week the much anticipated return of tiger woods to competitive golf at the hero world challenge and so many questions follow ....
Will he breakdown ? How will he play ? Can he win a tournament let alone a major ? Should he retire? Etc etc etc .
Well it could be argued that 3 out these 4 questions we will find found over the course of the week but for me these questions arent really important ones at this stage but more seeing the man who took golf to a new level and can still draw a big crowd even if some are just waiting to see him breakdown again .
This week for me i see it that firstly for tiger will be to just come through unscathed but also to be around a tournament setup again and the buzz of playing and surrounded by crowds waiting for a moment of tiger magic .
A side note one of my favourite moments in golf is tigers chip on 16 at augusta .
So back to this week i dont expect big things from tiger as its his first tournament in a while after injury and just making the weekend would be a bonus in finding his competitive legs .
Recent social media posts from tiger his swing has attracted comments and analaysis but it is tiger after all but he looked strong !
Now a question is how will he be mentally ? Its no secret his father earl was a big factor in this and that lost did affect tiger in some way but of course we all know that golf is physical too so has he given it enough time to heal and build it up again and maybe in the past he rushed this ?
When you look at his injury list which started back in 2008 with left knee issues , back problems , inflamed facet joint in his neck and a elbow strain .
He certainly taken the time this time and maybe we will have a better stronger tiger return ?
I hope so as nothing better than seeing the tiger on the hunt .
In the next blog we will begin the winter golf series of tips and instructions to play the best golf this winter and how winter golf can improve your overall game !
thanks for reading !
winter golf tips
so as the cold months roll in and winter takes hold how many of you actually play golf in the winter ?
Surprisingly not many do and normally the weather in the uk this time of year isn't great we do have the odd day where it's a crisp sunny cold day and a excellent chance to sample winter golf and the challenges it presents .
So a few tips to help your game in winter
1. Allow for less roll on wet or soft winter fairways compared to hard summer ones .
2. Be mindful that the golf ball doesn't fly as far in cold winter than in warm sunny days , a recent study showed that the difference being around 2 yards of carry for every 10 degrees drop ( cold air is denser than warm for science geeks ) .
3. Consider changing to a softer ' lower compression ball in winter as it's easier to compress a softer ball .
4. A random one this but to keep golf balls warm ( and last check it was legal ) put them in a pot a hot water for 30 minutes then dry them and put them into a insulated food bag ( I personally haven't tried it myself but may for research purposes ) .
5. A common tip from the tour is keep gloves dry is to put them in a sealed bag and also hang the glove on the rods under the umbrella to stay dry .
6. Simple one to keep a towel dry hang it off the umbrella but keep a spare in the bag too .
7. Rough in winter especially when wet is tough so swing a little harder to get out .
8. As beautiful as a crisp winter day can be to avoid disappointment do except that scoring won't be as good .
9. Greens will be slower when wet and soft .
So these top tips will help you enjoy winter golf more and the different challenge it poses to summer golf , course management and mental toughness will be tested as will ball striking .
Don't let all of this put you off tho from getting out on the course , even just 9 holes can be very beneficial to your winter practise programme .
Enjoy and happy golfing !
A professional golfer sharing blogs on playing the game , how to practise and views from the golf world ,