The european tour race to dubai comes to a head this week as the race to claim european number 1 hots up and it will be a thrilling tournament .
so whos going to claim the title ?
well for me its a 2 man race between current leader tommy fleetwood , 2nd place justin rose who put himself right in the mix with back to back wins in recent weeks and is firmly breathing down fleetwoods neck .
so who has the metal to win ?
Well you could have a strong case for major winner rose , who has a proven track record of coming from behind to win big tournaments and this would be a fitting addition on his golfing cv .
but lets not write off fleetwood who showed in france his metal at closing out from a winning position .
its going to be a thrilling 2 ball on thursday morning but also as a outside chance one 'el nino' sergio garcia what a season its been snatching the masters away from justin rose back in april could he finish european number 1?
come sunday we will know !
winter golf tips
so as the cold months roll in and winter takes hold how many of you actually play golf in the winter ?
Surprisingly not many do and normally the weather in the uk this time of year isn't great we do have the odd day where it's a crisp sunny cold day and a excellent chance to sample winter golf and the challenges it presents .
So a few tips to help your game in winter
1. Allow for less roll on wet or soft winter fairways compared to hard summer ones .
2. Be mindful that the golf ball doesn't fly as far in cold winter than in warm sunny days , a recent study showed that the difference being around 2 yards of carry for every 10 degrees drop ( cold air is denser than warm for science geeks ) .
3. Consider changing to a softer ' lower compression ball in winter as it's easier to compress a softer ball .
4. A random one this but to keep golf balls warm ( and last check it was legal ) put them in a pot a hot water for 30 minutes then dry them and put them into a insulated food bag ( I personally haven't tried it myself but may for research purposes ) .
5. A common tip from the tour is keep gloves dry is to put them in a sealed bag and also hang the glove on the rods under the umbrella to stay dry .
6. Simple one to keep a towel dry hang it off the umbrella but keep a spare in the bag too .
7. Rough in winter especially when wet is tough so swing a little harder to get out .
8. As beautiful as a crisp winter day can be to avoid disappointment do except that scoring won't be as good .
9. Greens will be slower when wet and soft .
So these top tips will help you enjoy winter golf more and the different challenge it poses to summer golf , course management and mental toughness will be tested as will ball striking .
Don't let all of this put you off tho from getting out on the course , even just 9 holes can be very beneficial to your winter practise programme .
Enjoy and happy golfing !
A professional golfer sharing blogs on playing the game , how to practise and views from the golf world ,